Researchers have reported a relatively simple and inexpensive method of enhancing additive-manufactured metal powders by adding ceramic nanowires. MIT and Istanbul University of Technology researchers in TΓΌrkiye reported that adding ceramic nanowires is relatively simple and inexpensive to strengthen metal powders. This paper, “Inconel 718 Enhancing Additive Manufacturing by in situ Formation of Nanocarbides and Silicides,” was published in Volume 76 of Additive Manufacturing.
The team’s approach began with Inconel 718, a popular high-temperature alloy. Researchers used a small number of ceramic nanowires to grind commercial Inconel 718 powder, resulting in the uniform decoration of nanoceramics on the surface of Inconel particles. Then, the obtained powder is used for additive manufacturing of parts through laser beam powder bed melting (PBF-LB). Researchers report that compared to parts made solely using Inconel 718, new machine-independent powder additives have significantly lower porosity and fewer cracks. This leads to more robust parts, which also have many other advantages, such as flexibility, radiation resistance, and high-temperature load resistance.
Assistant Professor Xu Song from the Chinese University of Hong Kong did not participate in this work. He commented, “In this paper, the author proposes a printing method from [ceramics].” A new method for Inconel 718 metal matrix composites reinforced with nanowires. The in-situ dissolution of ceramics caused by laser melting enhances the thermal resistance and strength of Inconel 718. In addition, in-situ reinforcement materials reduce grain size and eliminate defects. The future 3D printing of metal alloys, including the modification of high-reflectivity copper and fracture suppression of high-temperature alloys, can benefit from this technology.
Chromium nickel-iron alloy 718, also known as Inconel 718, is a nickel-based alloy with excellent performance in high temperatures and extreme chemical environments.
The characteristics of chromium nickel-iron alloy 718:
- High-temperature strength and stability: Chromium nickel-iron alloy 718 has excellent high-temperature strength and can maintain stability even under extreme temperatures. This makes it widely used in high-temperature environments in aerospace, energy, and chemical engineering fields.
- Good corrosion resistance: This alloy has marvelous corrosion resistance to various acids, alkalis, and salts, making it of great value in marine engineering, oil and gas extraction, and the chemical industry.
- Good welding performance: Chromium nickel-iron alloy 718 is easy to weld and maintains good material properties after welding, which provides advantages in applications that require structural integrity and reliability.
- Good machining performance: This alloy can be processed through conventional machining techniques such as cutting, drilling, and milling.
Application of Chromium-Nickel Iron Alloy 718:
- Aerospace field: Chromium nickel-iron alloy 718 is widely used in manufacturing key components for aircraft engines and spacecraft due to its high-temperature strength and stability.
- Energy field: This alloy manufactures structural components and heat exchangers in nuclear and solar energy under high-temperature conditions.
- Chemical and petroleum industries: Chromium nickel-iron alloy 718 is used to manufacture reactors, pipelines, and valves to withstand high temperatures and corrosive environments.
- Marine engineering: In the application of ships and offshore platforms, this alloy is used to manufacture corrosion-resistant components, such as seawater pipelines and heat exchangers.
- Automotive industry: Chromium nickel-iron alloy 718 is used to manufacture key components in high-performance automotive engines, such as turbochargers and exhaust systems.
TRUNNANO is a supplier of molybdenum disulfide with over 12 years of experience in the manufacturing of chemical materials. It accepts payments through credit cards, T/T, Western Union transfers, and PayPal. Trunnano will ship the goods to overseas clients through FedEx, DHL, and air or sea freight. If you are looking for high-quality Inconel 718 powder, please get in touch with us and send us an inquiry.